Many of us suffer from chronic or occasional insomnia, sleep disturbances, restlessness or other types of sleep disorders and sleep deprivation. In many situations, known and effective solutions like sleeping pills or developing good sleeping habits do not improve the situation. We know that our sleep patterns depend a lot on our daily diet and what we usually eat, therefore we try to keep away from caffeine and alcohol, but this does not seem to help as well.
For those, who are looking for more solutions to improve own sleep quality, there are recommendations from the world’s leading nutritionists. Check out the list of the foods which, if consumed before the bedtime, can interfere with out sleep routine and cause sleep disturbances.
1. Any spicy food. Spicy foods have clear stimulating effects, they can cause heartburn, heaviness and unpleasant feelings in the stomach. If you like hot wings or other spicy snacks, be sure that you eat those early enough not to bother your sleep.
2. Smoked meat. According to the recent studies, processed and smoked meat has a high content of tyramine, a monoamine compound which stimulates the production of hormones that make us feel awake and alert. Therefore, it is recommended to refrain from eating smoked or processed meat before going to bed.
3. Aged cheese. The same can be said about any sort of hard cheese, which contain tyramine in great amounts.
4. Milk chocolate. Milk chocolate is known for its high content of tyrosine, which in turn gets easily converted into dopamine, a hormone responsible for activities and alertness.
5. Ginseng root tea. In contrast to other herbal teas, ginseng root tea have very strong stimulative effects, though some ginseng tea lovers may not feel those effects. Specialists say that after drinking a cup of ginseng root tea, approximately every second person feels pumped blood pressure and insomnia.